This recipe was inspired by a tiny little cafe on California’s central coast. It was one of the best sandwiches I have ever had. For weeks I couldn’t stop thinking about this sandwich so when I got home I tried to recreate it. To my surprise I totally succeeded. I mean honestly you guys it tastes identical to the sandwich I had in that little cafe. Its been quite a few years now, I dont think the cafe even exists anymore but lucky for us this amazing sandwich lives on!
The lemon, honey, and thyme marinated chicken combined with the ooey gooey goodness of mozzarella and swiss cheeses are complimented by caramelized onions and artichokes giving this sandwich a HUGE punch of flavor. Better yet you can make one of these bad boys in less than 30 minutes.
- 2 Medium Chicken Breasts
- 1 16oz Can Quartered Artichokes
- 1 Sweet Onion
- 1 1/2 Tablespoon of Lemon Juice
- 3 Tablespoons of Olive Oil
- 1 Tablespoon of Honey
- 4-5 Thyme Sprigs
- 2-5 Tablespoons of Butter
- 4 Slices of Swiss Cheese
- 4 Slices of Mozzarella Cheese
- 8 Slices of Sourdough Bread
- Cube raw chicken and add to a pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil over medium heat.
- While chicken is cooking, slice the onion and drain and cube the artichoke hearts. In another pan, melt a tablespoon of butter over low heat. Add sliced onions and artichokes to the pan with a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir occasionally. Cook for about 10 minutes or until onions turn translucent.
- In a medium bowl mix 2 tablespoons of olive oil, 1 1/2 tablespoons of lemon juice, 1 tablespoon of honey, and the leaves of 4-5 sprigs of thyme. When chicken is cooked through, add to the bowl and coat the with the mixture.
- In another pan with a lid, melt a tablespoon of butter over medium-low heat. Place to slices of bread (insides up) onto the butter coated pan. Top one slice with chicken, caramelized onions, artichokes, and one slice of swiss cheese. Top the other slice with one slice of mozzarella cheese. Cover and cook for a few minutes until the bottom of the bread is golden brown. (repeat for each sandwich)
- Remove from pan and place the slice of bread with mozzarella cheese on top of the other slice.
- Cut in half and enjoy!