There are two things I must eat every time I go out for Thai food… Yellow Chicken Curry and Pad Thai. I’m being serious, if no one wants to share with me I have absolutely no problem ordering myself two entrees. What can I say, I’m a gemini, I’m to incisive to choose between the two. Although I love to cook, both dishes are kind of difficult to make at home. A lot of Thai food is made with fish sauce. I don’t know if you’ve ever tried to cook with fish sauce but the smell is absolutely nauseating. I can’t cook with it. I actually lose my appetite, so you’ll pretty much never see me cooking a Thai dish from scratch in my home.
I was craving Thai food this past week but my boyfriend and I made a resolution to eat more home cooked meals this year so I was super stoked when I came across Trader Joe’s Thai Yellow Curry Sauce on the shelf. Admittedly I was a little skeptical. I love me some yellow curry and a store bought sauce is almost never as good as the real thing but thankfully this sauce was actually pretty comparable. Woo!
This Trader Joe’s Hack includes a little more preparation than my previous hacks. You have to cut up potatoes, carrots, and onions and slice and cook your own chicken but its still a very simple and quick recipe. Once you get everything prepped and into the pot (which only takes about 10 minutes) you put a lid on it and let it simmer for 20 minutes and your food is ready to go!
- 2 Jars Trader Joe's Thai Yellow Curry Sauce
- 2 Large Chicken Breasts, Thinly Sliced
- 1/2 Sweet Onion, Thick Sliced
- 2 Russet Potatoes, Cubed
- 2 Regular Carrots, Sliced (or 10 baby carrots)
- 1 Box Trader Joe's Frozen Jasmine White Rice
- Prep the vegetables and slice the chicken
- In a large pot, sauté onions with a little bit of oil on medium heat for about 3 minutes
- Add sliced chicken to pot with 1/4 cup of curry sauce and cook each side for 1-2 minutes
- Dump the rest of the curry sauce in the pot and add in carrots and potatoes
- Bring contents to a boil and then turn down to low, cover and let simmer for about 20 minutes
- Microwave frozen jasmine rice for 3 minutes in the microwave according to package
- Serve and Enjoy!